By late fall of 1879 the U.S Army established a permanent military camp barracks, barns, officers‘ quarters and other buildings along the White River. This was known as the "Camp Along the White River" that would soon become Meeker, Colorado. Founded by J.W. Hugus in 1877, the J.W Hugus and Company operated numerous general and dry goods stores in southern Wyoming and western Colorado. Seeing an opportunity, the company opened a general store in the center of town, originally to supply the U.S Army camp.
In the fall of 1889, J.W Hugus and Company decided its Meeker store had outgrown the Army barracks it had purchased only a few years earlier, and by the end of September a two story brick building was constructed. This building also housed the bank that would go on to be famous for a bungled robbery. The construction of such a modern building made Meeker a major area destination. This original building would burn down in 1911.
With the J.W Hugus and Company brand making millions, the Hugus Building in Meeker was promptly rebuilt in 1911 after the fire. The structure grew in size and had a more modern facade, designed by Fisher & Fisher out of Denver. The building was sold in 1919 to A.Oldland and Co. who continued to operate their general store out of the main retailing space. The building was extensively refurbished and remodeled in 1996 under the current ownership. They have worked to preserve and enhance the historic character of the structure while modernizing it for the next generation of commercial uses.